Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fedora 14 on Asus eee 1001P

It's been quite some time since I've written to this blog so I wanted to post an update with some important information.

Same as Fedora 13, Fedora 14 continues to work well on the Asus platform. For a successful installation, start with these instructions here:

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f14.html

Then follow my instructions here for the Fedora 13 specifics on the Asus eee:

http://linuxdr.blogspot.com/2010/06/asus-eee-1001p-and-linux-fedora-13.html

Finally, I have found some issues with the kernel 2.6.34 and higher (Fedora 14 comes with 2.6.35 even). The problems seem to be that the function keys do not respond properly:

1. The volume has a lag and often has a mind of its own.

2. The brightness function is not set properly and even at the brightest setting does not product the brightest option.

I have played a lot with the kernel parameters and could not find a more correct ACPI setting. As such, I recommend using kernel 2.6.33.8-149.fc13.x86_64. If needed, e-mail me and I will gladly give you links for the RPM's.

Using yum localinstall for the RPM files will place the kernel with no problem. After that, your laptop will work perfectly.

Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment